Saturday, November 3, 2012

Section I: Defining the Field


Chapter 1: What Field Did You Say You Were In? Defining and Naming Our Field

The first chapter explained how the definition of educational technology has evolved over the past decades. My simple definition of educational technology is the use of technological resources to facilitate learning and improve student performances. These resources include physical and world-wide web resources. According to the textbook, the most recent definition includes that the goal of the field is "to improve (or facilitate) learning and performance". I think that definition statement compares to mine almost identically. However after reading the chapter and reflecting on my experiences with educational technology I feel that my definition should include instructional design and management. It already seems that my definition of educational technology will be redefined after taking ETEC 561.

Chapter 2: Characteristics of Instructional Design Models

I teach students with severe and profound disabilities. My lesson plans do not include higher order thinking skills and the only technology I incorporate in my lessons is assistive technology. However in ETEC 562 I developed a Cyberbullying lesson using the ASSURE Model instructional design. The six steps of the ASSURE model are: (1) Analyze learners, (2) State objectives, (3) Select methods, materials, and media, (4) Utilize media, materials, and methods, (5) Require learner participation, and (6) Evaluate and revise. It is important for the teacher to know the make-up of the class (demographics, learning disabilities, technology skills, etc.) to design and successfully implement instruction. The last step of the ASSURE model allows for evaluation of student performance, media effectiveness, and instructor performance. I think the ASSURE model is similar and adheres closely to the six characteristics of instructional design.  

Chapter 3: A History of Instructional Design and Technology

Reiser excludes teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks from the definition of instructional media because his focus is only on the physical means which instruction is presented to learners. I can see his reason because those three things do not necessarily come to mind when I when I think of instructional media. It does not mean I agree with Reiser but I can see how teachers can both be included and excluded as instructional media. Technology and its application have been able to expand a teacher's instuctional versatility. A teacher can assume a range of roles from instructor to monitor, tutor, mentor, etc. Technology integration allows a change in instructional practices from teacher-centered to student-centered. As teaching moves towards student-centered learning teachers can become facilitators and part of the collaboration process and instruction can move from memorization to problem solving, evaluation, and synthesis. In the new century emerging media technologies will continue to deliver quality education and high intractability to the classroom but a teacher should not only be the ‘vehicle’ of instructional media but also the ‘influence’ in order for its applications in education to reach its full potential.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you added in your definition of ET that it should include management. That is so true. I wish I’ve thought of that. I agree that my definition will be evolving as I continue deeper into this class.
    I also agree with you that the ASSURE Model is equivalent or very similar to the six characteristics of instructional design. It is very important for us teachers to know the makeup of our class so as a teacher we know how to teach/implement instruction. Very good point!
    I think we were reading each other’s minds about chapter 3, I agree with everything you blogged about Reiser. I really like the part you wrote that “a teacher should not only be the ‘vehicle’ of instructional media but also the ‘influence’ in order for its applications in education to reach its full potential.” As a teacher we wear many hats and we should not limit ourselves to what influences we have on our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too feel that my definition will be altered after completing this course! Your blog is so well written. Your use of technology in your classroom seems appropriate as anything more would be overkill. For your students, the assistive technology is practical and student appropriate. Teachers, blackboards and books are such mainstays in the classroom that we tend to overlook them as true facilitators of learning.

    ReplyDelete